Asia has distinguished itself in academic circles as a leader in research and education over the years, and with the emergence of new alliances, affiliations, and opportunities, the quality of education in the continent has increased considerably. The governments of Asia are looking to create an environment that retains its brightest and best so that they may pursue their academic pursuits without needing to completely displace themselves from what is familiar to them, many going so far as to changing not just countries, but their entire hemisphere to be able to have ample opportunity available to them. Having Great universities dispensing quality knowledge to a large part of the youth is a critical milestone for the education of the ASEAN population and bridging the skills gap needed for the ASEAN labor market. They not only play a role in educating but also providing further expertise for companies, agencies, etc. by introducing professionals to specialization courses for the sake of career development. The top universities in Asia have taken this objective to heart and doubled down on their efforts to ensure the Asian perspective is heard at global educational forums.
With this recent growth in the educational sector of the continent, particularly South-East Asia, it is important to know what environment would best suit a potential student’s needs in terms of both education and an experience. Higher education is a luxury to many people in Asia and it is vital to make the right choice from such large pool of growing universities. To that end, the Times Higher Education Asia published a list of the best Universities in Asia. They are as follows-
- National University of Singapore- It is an autonomous university that is in Singapore. Founded in 1905, it is the oldest higher learning institution in Singapore, as well as the largest university in the country in terms of student enrolment and curriculum offered. NUS is a holistic research university with an entrepreneurial dimension.
- Nanyang Technological University- NTU is anautonomous, comprehensive and research-intensive university in Singapore, with over 33,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students. The University is broken up into eight colleges and schools.
- UniverstiTeknologiMalayasia- It is a graduate-focused, public research-intensive university that specializes engineering, science and technology. It is located in Kuala Lumpur, the capital city of Malaysia.
- Mahidol University- It is an autonomous research institution based in Thailand that had its origin in the establishment of Siriraj Hospital in 1888- Thailand’s first medical school, the Siriraj Medical School. It offers a range of graduate (mostly international) and undergraduate programs from natural sciences to liberal arts.
- King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi- It is an engineering and technology academy in Thailand, focusing on teaching, researching as well as serving industry. It is located in ThungKhru District, Bangkok and was founded on April 18, 1960.
- Universiti Putra Malaysia- Itis considered to be independent government assessments as one of Malaysia’s leading research universities offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses with a focus on agricultural sciences and other related fields. Founded in 1931, the main campus is in central Peninsular Malaysia, quite close to the capital city, Kuala Lumpur.
- Chiang Mai University- It is a public research university in northern Thailand founded in 1964. It has a strong emphasis on engineering, science, agriculture, and medicine. Its instructional mission includes undergraduate, graduate, and professional education offered through resident instruction.
- University of Science, Malaysia- It is a publicly-funded autonomous university in Malaysia. Founded in 1969, it is among the oldest institutes of higher learning in Northern Malaysia. It provides education in the fields of Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Building Science and Technology, Social Sciences, Humanities and Education as well as conducts research.
- Chulalongkorn University- It is a public, research-intensive and autonomous research university in Bangkok, Thailand. The campus occupies a vast area in downtown Bangkok- itcomprises nineteen faculties, a School of Agriculture, three colleges, ten institutes and two other schools.
- National University of Malayasia- It is a public university located in Bangi, Selangor and was established in the year 1970 and was given the status of research university in 2006. Originally, the university had three branches of study but has since expanded considerably as a result of diversification.