Varanasi, also known as Banaras, is a beautiful city steeped in the ancient traditions of Hinduism. Situated on the banks of the Ganges in Uttar Pradesh, it is one of the oldest cities in the world and often considered the holiest of all cities according to Hindu religion. Being the spiritual hub for millions of pilgrims worldwide, Varanasi provides a unique experienceto travellers of all demographics.
Owing to its popularity and location, Varanasi is very well connected by railway, air and roads with a bevy of public transport to take you to the local places of interest. So, once you book your trip with Varanasi best hotels, check out the top 5 places to visit in Varanasi. It will surely give you the experience of a lifetime! Read on to know more about these amazing destinations that will leave a deep impression on your soul.
- Varanasi Ghats: The Ghats along the river Ganges are not to be missed at any cost. The ManikarnikaGhat with its naked reflection on life and the Man Mandir Ghat with its old-school architectural grandeur are just a few of the many attractions. Also, worth mentioning are the DasaswamedhGhat and PanchgangaGhat where you can spend a whole day and see the different rituals that are performed by people of all ages. Be ready to catch the magnificent evening aarti performed by priests all along the ghats where you are sure to click a slew of great pictures to boast about.
- Sarnath: Located at around 10 Kms from the city, this is a place of great historical importance as it was here that Buddha gave his first sermon after enlightenment and later King Asoka built a stupa to commemorate the event. Book a cab or auto from any one of Varanasi best resort and check out the Dhamekh Stupa, Chaukhandi Stupa and Sarnath Archaeological Museum. The peaceful environment and impeccable architecture is sure to enthral those who seek the ‘bliss of solitude’.
- Ramnagar Fort: The residence of the former King of Varanasi, this red sandstone structure remains one of the stupendous views that can be enjoyed while standing on the Varanasi Ghats. The fort is a classic example of Mughal era architecture and houses some extraordinary collection of swords, costumes and the likes, which are preserved in an impeccable manner. Quick tip – for those interested in a bit of astronomy, prepare to be amazed.
- Man Mandir Observatory: A treat for the historians and scientific minded alike, this observatory contain myriads of astronomical equipment to measure planetary movement, tell time, study celestial events etc. It throws you back to the past and the mind wonders praising the ingenuity of the people, how they worked everything out with such basic equipment.
- Vishwanath Temple: Extraordinary, it is one of the few temples in India which harbours a mosque within its premises. The trip to Varanasi would be incomplete without a visit to this mystical place of divine importance to millions of pilgrims who flock here every year.
So, don’t miss out your chance and check out the top 5 places to visit in Varanasi for a life changing experience.